Saturday, August 25, 2012

First week recap.....whew am I tired.

Well hello....it's almost 3:30 on Saturday afternoon and  I am still in my pajamas. But, my lesson plans are done, and I had a little free time so I thought I would send out a little tidbit to my bloggy friends!  I think most of us are already back in school, or close to it. We started back the week before last, but this past Wednesday was our first day with kiddos. Can I tell you without jinxing it...that in my 6 years of teaching, this is the smoothest opening we have ever had! The kids were so excited to come back to school, and I am loving my 5th graders. I have 20 students currently, and only 2 of them are new to me. I looped up to 5th with my class so most of  my little friends are back with me.  I don't know who was more excited to see each other, the kids or me!!!

We also got our additional 5th grade head count and hired a 5th grade teacher the night before school started. Our 5th grade team totally ROCKS!! We selected  theme of "Peace, Love and 5th Grade" and our hallway is decorated with tie-dye and peace signs. It looks awesome!

We got a lot of procedure review out of the way in the last 3 days and even started our Math benchmark test on Friday. Monday we will knock out the District Fall writing prompt.  I am teaming again this year with my BTF (Best Teacher Friend) Beth and we are so excited.   We also have a Science Lab teacher who will be teaching all 4th/5th grade Science standards so that just leaves, ELA, Math, and Social Studies for us to teach. I will be teaching Guided Reading, Spelling and Social Studies and Beth will be teaching Math and Writing.

I started one read aloud novel with my class-- How to Steal a Dog by Barbara O'Connor and another with Beth's class--The Day The Fifth Grade Disappeared by Teri Fields.  They  were begging for more as we finished up on Friday.


I was also excited to show off our new class iPad to my students and give them an opportunity to play around with it. One of them snapped this picture of me....flattering huh!?!?!?


Well, I think that about wraps up my first 3 days of school. If you went back this week (or the week before), leave me a comment below. I would love to hear how your week was!





4 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start! I start with my sixth grade on Monday. I hope it goes as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peanut Gallery- How was your first week? I hope it was great. We are finally getting into a routine and starting some instruction!! That always makes me feel like we are finally underway!!

      Delete
  2. I'm starting week three and finally feeling that everything is coming together. I have a student teacher this quarter, so that has helped.

    Good Luck this year!


    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat- I hope week three was great! I have a practicum student two days a week and will have a student teacher next semester. Looking forward to it!! Enjoy your long weekend!

      Delete