Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Trying to get my bearings after a rough end of the school year......

Well today is the first official day of summer for teachers in my district. However, I have been off for the past 2 weeks because my husband had to have open heart-surgery. He is ony 53, and is in fairly good health. I won't go into a lot of detail, but he is home and on the mend and I am so grateful for that.

Due to his surgery I missed the last days of school with my fifth graders. All the fun stuff--Field Day, 5th Grade Day, Awards, etc. I was and am still pretty bummed. I did get a chance to go in and see them before they moved on to middle school. It was bittersweet. Luckily I have an amazing 5th grade team and a wonderful BTF (Best Teacher Friend) who really had my back and go things done at year end and made sure that the last few days of school were so special for my kiddos. 
Here we are with the 4th grade team during the Spring Dance (that is me with the short hair, in the blue and white stripes- dead center)

Another thing that has me out of sorts is that I have not had the chance to go in an close up my room for the school year. The plan is to go in next Monday, stake stock of what I have, pack some stuff, clean a little an then leave it until late next month when I will go in and pack the whole thing up for what will hopefully be my final move to a portable classroom. My BTF (see below) and I are moving


 to a portable classroom and hopefully will be able to team teach next year together. We used to team teach several years ago (I taught  Reading/Social Studies and she taught Math/Science and Writing). When our state began implementing Common Core, we were no longer allowed to team teach, as our principal wanted each teacher teaching it all. When we were approached to move out to the band new portables, this was one of our bargaining chips. We have talked a lot about it and are really excited for this new adventure.  We will see how excited we are next fall when it becomes a reality. On top of all this, our school is going 1:1 with iPads for lower grades and laptops for upper grades. And if that is not enough stress/crazy, I start a 20 day internship in the fall for my MLIS program. I will be out of my classroom, working in the library at a nearby Middle School on Tuesday/Thursday each week, for 10 weeks, and my students will have a long-term sub.

So that is my current saga...trying to wrap things up from this year and get ready for a crazy busy new school year. I know it is going to be stressful but exciting and I will be blogging all about it. But for now, follow along as I muddle through the summer, getting reading for another exciting year of 5th grade. 

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you, my blogger friends, about your summer and getting ready for a new school year!!!








1 comment:

  1. Portable classrooms and other modular space solutions create speed and flexibility in deadline-driven school facility projects, enabling you to adjust to the current environment. Design Space Modular focuses on serving the customer through Availability, Response and Execution.

    ReplyDelete